What Causes Hearing Loss?
There are two major types of hearing loss. The type of hearing loss will be determined by where in the auditory system the problem lies.
- Conductive Hearing Loss
This is caused by any type of blockage to the sound signal, either in the ear canal or in the middle ear. This will cause an inefficient transfer of sound from the outer ear to the inner ear.
- Sensorineural Hearing Loss
This is caused by a disorder in the cochlea (main organ of hearing) or in the auditory nerve. A very common cause of sensorineural hearing loss is damage to the hair cells in the cochlea.
My daughter Natasha was diagnosed with a mild to severe hearing loss at 6 weeks. Shamim was there from the first OAE’s to the ABR tests to the many ‘booth’ tests since – holding our family together through the many challenges in her calm, professional and caring way.
We Offer The Following Services
Basic Audiological Services
- Diagnostic Hearing Testing for adults and children
- Hearing Aid fittings and fine tuning
- Newborn Hearing Screenings
- Dispensing of custom hearing protection devices and swim plugs
Advanced Audiological Services
- Auditory Brainstem Response (ABR)
- Assessment Auditory Steady State Response [ASSR]
- Testing dizziness (videonystagmography – [VNG])
- Central Auditory Processing disorder [CAPD]